Stitch and the City

This all ends with me passed out in my bed after drinking two margaritas.

I started off wearing a nice outfit complete with new high heeled shoes.  I had walked around with them in my apartment to double check that yes my feet would be OK.  By the time I reached the path after a 7 block walk from my apartment it was apparent that the blisters already developing were telling me that, "No, Ms. M, there is no wearing high heels today."

I decided to suck it up in the mean time and got off the path at Christopher St. and made my 10 minute walk to the first yarn store destination, Purl Soho. I walked right by it the first time since it was hiding under a scaffold.  But once inside this little cozy store I was taking in all it’s yarny goodness.  On my mind was getting yarn for a clapotis (yes I am going to go There) – I didn’t want to blow my wad either at the first store I went to, so I decided to go for a pattern book and right there in the window was this:

The Mason Dixon Knitting! I flipped through a few pages and immediately had to have it.  So the first purchase of the day it was!

Considering my feet have decided that they need new owners – my next stop was getting more comfortable shoes.  Ahh, Broadway in SoHo.  How I love thee… I knew they couldn’t be just another pair of fancy shmancy shoes, they had to be comfy and yet I wanted something a bit trendy.  Aha!  The new colors of Chuck Taylors.  Green.  I used to have two pairs of these things when I was younger… I Love that they’re coming back in to style.  So I had a pretty blouse, skirt and now green Chuck Taylors.  Comfort over fashion I say.

With my new found feet it was walking time… I made the 1.1 mile walk over to Ave. A and Downtown Yarns.  What a warm shop! I walked in to see wall high store of yarns! It was like sensory overload.  I had to be careful however to not trip over the dog who just spread himself out on the floor.  I looked carefully over everything (squeeze and sniffed)  and picked out some nice Noro Silk Garden in #84 for the coming clapotis.  I only got 5 balls thinking that would be enough – but after searching the internets it seems that I will need to order two more to complete the normal size. I was also eyeing some Chocolate Calmer for a Nuthin’ But a T-shirt… but I needed to budgetize. (There will be time for such things).

After Downtown Yarns it was time to meet my Boy for lunch. A short cab ride to 27th and Madison and a 45 minute lunch later, I was ready to hit up another knit store.  This time Yarn Connection on 36th and Madison.  Sorry to not bore you with details of lunch with my Boy, but who wants to hear that kind of banter anyway 😉

Yarn Connection also had a stash of yarns allllll over the place.  It was like oozing yarns and plastic bags full of yarns, and needles and notions.  I didn’t get anything there but it was nice to look around and take it all in.  The owner was nice and just let me browse around without hounding me about what I wanted to knit.

I took my new pattern book, my new Noro and my partically completed sock to spend the rest of my time at Bryant Park.  I simply don’t know why I don’t do that more often and this summer there’s going to be a chair with my name on it!  My best friend who worked nearby took a bit of a bathroom break (60 mins or so) to sit with me while I knitted away.  We had plans to go to Happy Hour to celebrate the near end of the week and the beautiful weather.  This is where things get hazy.

Have you ever heard of someone getting so sh*tcanned after two margaritas?? Two. 

We were at a bar called Rio Grande which cleverly splits it’s resturant in two (Texas on one side of the kitchen and Mexico on the other).  The irony here is that the Mexico side is ALWAYS crowded and most people enter the Texas side only to cross through the kitchen "Rio Grande" to Mexico.  Once in Mexico you get down to business being a gringo and drinking tequlia.  I was home in bed by 10:30 with the spins.  Not to mention the headache that did me in on Friday.  Today is a new day.  I feel Good today.

with that said, i’m off to knit more of my sock and to put some progress into the clapotis.  i was too lazy to put up pics… lo siento, but i promise to show my sock progress manana!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s